Derelict for over a decade, one of the biggest design challenges the location presented was the existing network of underground services, which included an old culvert. This constraint meant all new buildings needed to be positioned to avoid these services, while also forming a coherent, legible and highly considered piece of urban design and placemaking.
The proposals will create an attractive and vibrant mixed use community, ideally suited to creative lifestyles. A mix of amenities and uses will support this new community, such as restaurants and cafes, a public gym, as well as green spaces, terraced roof gardens and beautiful landscaping, creating a welcoming place for residents to enjoy. As a truly mixed use scheme, the different uses on site needed to be carefully managed and considered in the new proposals, including elements such as parking, deliveries, and access.
The scheme will have 375 apartments - all designed for modern sustainable living. The homes will comprise a mix of studio, 1-bed and 2-bed apartments. Approximately 40% will be for rent, fully furnished and ready to move into, while the remaining 60% will be for sale (and priced in line with Worthing’s property market).
Working within complicated practical constraints, the new proposals effectively created three viable development plots on the site, resulting in three different building forms, each with their own distinct but complementary architectural treatment and identity. The high quality proposals will respect and add to Worthing’s charm, incorporating materials and colours which echo the area’s Art Deco heritage and seaside character.
A key move of the scheme was the introduction of a new pedestrian route through the site, linking the station to the town centre. This route opens out in the middle of the Station Square to create an area of new public realm, which is activated by ground floor retail and a large food store for use by the residents and the wider community. Station Square will also include brand new cycle parking together with improved walking and cycling links to the town centre, making it one of the town’s greenest and most sustainable new developments.
This is a vision to create an exciting, new creative community at the heart of Worthing, which offers an aspirational lifestyle for all residents. The provision of much-needed housing will also ease the town’s long-standing housing shortage, while also creating almost 200 jobs and new spaces for the community to live, work and relax.
Local companies will be involved in the construction and fit out, contributing to the area’s skills, and local economy.
Worthing, West Sussex
I thoroughly enjoyed working with Aros on the major mixed use development scheme planned for this key station gateway site in Worthing Town Centre. They prepared and tested a series of high quality Masterplan options, often at short notice, that responded to the key planning, transport and development challenges facing the delivery of this complex urban site. They were thoroughly professional throughout the process and highly creative, but above all from my perspective they were simply great fun to work with! I highly recommend Simon, Jenny, Natasha and the rest of the Aros team.”Steve Norris, Carter Jonas